Thursday, September 27, 2012

I'm A Mad Scientist - Part Two

Experiment Two -- Can I make a regular polish into a soak-off?

Answer -- YES!

Details -- Shannon wanted me to apply one of the new Minnie Mouse polishes over her gel polish, but she wanted to make sure it would last through her trip to Disneyland (which started a week after her appt, and was 3-4 days long). I had some initial concerns, but then remembered that someone told me that back when Shellac was having a major shortage on some of their colors, they used Shellac base & top with a regular CND polish... and it worked. So, what I ended up doing was this: I used OPI GelColor's base coat, then two layers of GelColor "Black Onyx", then sealed with Axxium's (both OPI UV systems can successfully be used together) Soak Off Gel Sealer (this one is NOT acetone-permeable). I did not wipe off the dispersion layer (although, I probably could have...?), and just applied "Nothin’ Mousie ’bout It" directly over it. I then applied GelColor's top coat, wiped the dispersion layer, oiled her cuticles, and sent her on her way. She was scheduled for a pedi three days later (still before her trip) so that if there was a problem, I could fix it without ruining the black underneath (which is why I used the Sealer over the black).

Why It Worked -- Soak off gel colors are made with microscopic holes (like little tunnels) so that the acetone in any remover will be able to soak through; making it lift off the nail plate easily (but some of the top coats aren't, which is why instructions for some of them say to scuff the top coat before wrapping). Shellac and GelColor both have these "tunnels", so layering either of these base & top (make sure you're using the base & top coats from ONE brand; do not use Shellac for one and GelColor for the other) with a basic polish still allows for the polish's solvents to completely disperse (which takes 24hours!!). If you attempted this process with a full sealer (like CND's UV Gloss, Axxium's Soak Off Gel Sealer, etc), your polish would peel off with in a day or two.

Future Use -- Over any type of nail; natural or enhancement.

For the record -- if applying Shellac, specifically, over Brisa gel, you MUST use their UV Gloss instead of their Base Coat. Within this system, the base coat is formulated to bond to the keratin in your natural nail, and therefore won't adhere properly to your enhancement. All other systems I use (GelColor, Axxium, and Gelish), you can apply the system's base coat directly over the shaped gel.

End Result:

No comments:

Post a Comment